Sunday, October 22, 2006

The Rain in Spain - or teaching English in China

I've been here a little more than two weeks. The first week was spent getting to know the staff. The second week was interviewing students and determining their level of English so they could be put into the proper classes.

It turns out that I will be teaching English Corner (conversational English) to young teens (11 - 13 years) and to adults. In addition, I will be teaching several students one-on-one. My first student is named Eric. He is 7 years old and speaks and understands some English. However, his mother wants him to improve his English by speaking with a "foreigner". That's me. I also will probably teach another 7 year old and another adult or two one on one.

Speaking of foreigner, on Friday night when we held our first classes, we had divided the children into two groups. One was the teens who would be with me and the other were beginning English speakers who would be taught by a young woman of Asian descent who grew up in and is from British Columbia. She is bi-lingual and is studying for her masters in law at a Beijing university. Well, when the classes began, the parents were up in arms because they did not consider the teacher from BC a foreigner and therefore not qualified to teach their little children English. Afterwards, the staff was joking that maybe we should have put a blond wig on her and equipped her with blue contact lenses so that she could qualify as a foreigner.

We're all learning as we go along but all in all it has been a positive experience. Of course, the adults are a lot more flexible and easier to communicate with. I still have to figure out how to keep a couple of 7 year olds and about 12 teens interested enough to show up every week.

It's a challenge but it is quite an exhilirating experience.

3 comments:

Scrambled Eggs and tomato said...

Hi Judy, I'm a foreign teacher also from the US teaching in the Hunan Province of China. This is my 3 month here. I definitely hear you when you say you are learning as you go. Every day is a new experience except for the questions you get a foreigner. You do here the same questions over and over from Chinese people. Good luck with the rest of your classes.

Anonymous said...

Hi Judy - sounds like you are enjoying yourself over there.

I just emailed the other girls. I need $75.00 by November 3 to pay the November mortgage on Thea Lane in Raleigh, NC. There was an extra $300.00 in expenses and I received a check for only $1061.24. I appreciate your cooperation very much.

Helen Esquibel

Anonymous said...

Judy,
Love to read your blog and I feel as I am right there living the experience with you. It is so professional. When you get it finished you will be able to write a book from it for others. I love some of your stories and the photos also. The blue eyed blond story brought back memories of when we were in Thailand as I am one too. Keep up the good work. You won't hear from me for awhile as I get my neck surgery tomorrow.
Peg