Monday, November 27, 2006

A Day in the Life . . .

It's been getting colder here but so far not unbearable. Today was sunny and in the forties. We've had some beautiful weather in October and November. I understand Beijing doesn't get much precipitation. The last time we had a heavy rain was a week or so after I came here. There's been some drizzle but not much else. Friends have asked if I've been lonely at all. Truth be told, I haven't. There always seems to be something to do. Either teaching or going sightseeing or shopping. If I'm bored I can always go for a nice foot massage!

One of the things I love about living in a city is that there is always something to do and usually within walking distance (or as you're probably learning by now -- a short taxi ride). Most people who know me also know I love to read and, as television in English is non-existent, I read a lot. I've also purchased some DVDs to keep me entertained. I talk to Bob at least once a day, sometimes twice, thanks to Skype. Then, of course, there are always the mundane tasks like laundry, cleaning and cooking.

In many ways, it has been like a vacation here. I've taken a lot of tours in and around Beijing with the Chinese Culture Club which is a private club that caters to ex-pats and tourists, most of which you've probably read about on my blog (the tours I mean, not the tourists). I've seen all five UNESCO World Heritage Sites in the Beijing area - The Great Wall, the Forbidden City, the Temple of Heaven, the Summer Palace, and the Peking Man site.

Bob will be visiting for 11 days at Christmas time. We will take a trip on the Yangtze River for 4 days and will visit Xien (terracotta warriors) for 2 days. Bob will also have 4 days of sightseeing in Beijing. He leaves Jan 1 and that will be just about my half-way mark in Beijing. I have a friend who's thinking of visiting me in January or February for a couple of weeks. I also will probably take one or two weekend trips before I leave China.

The Chinese have a great respect for their elders. Almost too much so. It's nice when you're offered a seat on the subway. However, I've also had some remarks made which have given me pause. One was from a young man in my English Corner class who was impressed that I was wearing earrings and dressed fashionably (for China). He said most "old" people in China don't dress that way and aren't active like I am. The other comment was from the community group leaders who were overly concerned that I would become "fatigued" if I stood up for more than five minutes. Now, I've tried to get away with this act with Bob but it's never been a go.

People in China are required to retire at a certain age. Women are encouraged to retire at about 55 and men at about 60. The older people I observe mostly dress in conservative clothing. Many of the grandparents are taking care of the grandchildren while the parents work. There seems to be some effort in getting retired people interested and involved in programs that they didn't have time for when they were younger, like art and calligraphy. I often see older people on group tours. Also, I'm told, many will go to the park early in the morning to exercise. As I am not a morning person, I cannot testify to this but when Bob is here I will send him out to get verification.

It is a nation of young people and in Beijing many of them have disposable income. I see them in the shopping malls and walking around the various neighborhoods. Many are very fashionably dressed and the young women, in particular, wear the cutest clothes. Now that winter is almost here, boots, coats, hats and scarves are being worn all to great effect. A growing concern in China, is the disparity between the growing affluent population in the cities and the poorer rural areas. How this problem will be played out remains to be seen.

No comments: