Sunday, February 18, 2007

The Ex-Pat Community

Just a few words regarding foreigners who live and work in Beijing and in other large cities of China. I never realized until I came here how extensive the ex-pat community is. There are many different types of companies in partnership with Chinese businesses and which have various personnel living here. In my travels with the Chinese Culture Club, I have met people from all over the world like a woman from Finland works to promote Finland to Chinese travelers and a young man from Finland who works for Nokia. I've met several women whose husbands work for petroleum companies. They have various assignments but usually expect to live in an area for 5 to 8 years. Some have lived in Jakarta, the Philippines and other Asian areas. Of course, I have met many people who teach English here. Some are in formal schools like the Canadian International School, others, like myself, teach English less formally. There are many international schools located throughout Beijing. I met an artist originally from Belgium but now an American; also, the wife of a professor who came to teach for one semester in Beijing and several people who work for various embassies. I've met people from Australia, Brazil, Canada, Germany, India, Ireland, Japan, Korea, the Netherlands, Wales and, of course, I've met many tourists and ex-pats from the United States.

One thing I think all these people have in common is a sense of adventure and an openess to experiencing a new culture and as I speak with them I get to see their impressions from yet another point of view.

No comments: